IN THIS SECTION
- Barry Street Health Center
- Behavioral Health
- Cancer Care
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardio Pulmonary +
- Community Outreach
- Delevan Health Center
- Dental +
- Diabetes Education
- Diagnostic Imaging +
- Digestive Disease Center +
- Durable Medical Equipment / Oxygen Supplies
- Ebola Information
- Emergency Medicine
- The Heart Program +
- Holiday Park Health Center
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Intensive Care Unit
- Occupational Wellness Center
- Olean General Healthcare
- Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
- Outpatient Surgery Center
- Pain Medicine Center
- Pastoral Care
- Rehabilitation +
- Salamanca Health Center
- Sleep Disorders Center +
- Surgical Services
- Volunteer Service
- Wound Care +
The services provided by the Cardiopulmonary Department Olean General Hospital reflect some of the latest procedures and treatment advances available today to treat heart and lung conditions. The department prides itself in its ability to provide both treatment and educational programs to help patients address their particular conditions with outcomes that will help return them to a normal lifestyle.
Registered and certified respiratory therapists provide diagnostic and therapeutic treatments for both inpatients and outpatients in an environment that stresses evidence-based medicine and the use of well-researched best practices in order to skillfully treat their patients to the best outcomes possible.
The respiratory team engages patients during pre-operation education sessions, in the Emergency Room and during their routine visits to all floors including the Intensive Care Unit. Their interaction with patients is continued right up to the time they are discharged by their physician.
Our Respiratory Therapists use state-of-the-art Maquet Servo-I ventilators for life-sustaining support on our critically ill patients. These digital ventilators allow highly-trained Respiratory Therapists to incorporate art with science as they skillfully "shape" the breaths that are given to patients requiring this level of support. This artisanship effectively helps patients to tolerate the ventilator and protects the lungs. This in turn reduces the ventilator course; which in turn improves patient outcomes and reduces the overall length of stay in the hospital.
The Cardiopulmonary Technicians perform many of the inpatient and outpatient diagnostic procedures in the hospital. Examples of these exams are found below. The technicians are highly trained and prepared to operate our state-of-the-art equipment and their goal is to make your visit as comfortable as possible while ensuring that your physician receives the information necessary from the procedure in order to continue your care.
- Bronchoscopy – to visually inspect the condition of the lungs for infection and to diagnose lung cancer
- Echocardiogram - to evaluate overall heart function and valvular disease
- Electrocardiogram - to record the heart’s electrical activity in order to show any previous damage to the heart
- Electroenchephalograms (EEG) – to evaluate brain wave activity for seizures and other abnormalities.
- Transesophageal Echocardiographic Study (TEE) - allows physician to obtain high quality imaging to evaluate valvular disease and/or clots for patients with atrial fibrulation or flutters
- Transesophageal Echocardiographey with cardioversion - converts the heart back to normal sinus rhythm from atrial fib or atrial flutter
- Smoking Cessation Support – to help smokers quit smoking
- Stress Test – to determine how well the heart handles workloads.
- Cardiac Stress Testing
- Regular Stress Testing
- Nuclear Stress Testing
- Stress Echo
Treatment by the Cardiopulmonary Services Unit at Olean General offers significant benefits:
- Services are provided for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Treatment equipment and procedures are the latest available anywhere.
- The Respiratory Services team, besides being fully certified and accredited, provides a highly motivational environment to help patients excel during their treatment.
- Electronic patient records track and monitor patient progress.
Our Cardiac Ultrasound Unit is pleased to feature state-of-the-art 4D echocardiography imaging provided to us by new ultrasound machines. These machines use live, 4D echo imaging at a rate of five images per second to display a real-time view of the heart that allows physicians and patients to view the beating heart as if they were holding in their hands.
Benefits of this technology include:
- 4D imaging leads to lessened need for more invasive procedures due to its high-quality resolution and functionality.
- 4D imaging is less costly than invasive procedures for patients.
- 4D imaging requires no recovery time, unlike invasive procedures.
- 4D imaging provides immediate results, which speeds the care of the patient.
Search our online health library.
[ click here ]
[ click here ]